By Greenbranch Publishing, Special for USDR
In his new book, FLATLINING: HOW HEALTHCARE COULD KILL THE U.S. ECONOMY, Ron Howrigon, President and CEO of Fulcrum Strategies, breaks down the complex system that is healthcare in the U.S. and helps people gain a deeper understanding of the issues that will arise in 2017.
Now that a new administration and a new Congress are getting down to the business of trying to fulfill the Republican promises of repealing and replacing ObamaCare, many people are trying to figure out what is wrong with healthcare and how can it be fixed. Will the new administration get it right or will they make matters worse?
“Healthcare is the largest single segment of our economy and it is quickly spiraling out of control,” the author comments. “This book can give readers an understanding of the healthcare industry, why it’s in trouble-and what needs to happen to fix it.”
With 30 years of experience as a managed care executive, economist, and consultant, Ron Howrigon brings a uniquely broad perspective on the healthcare system-and the view is an unsettling one. Noting the crippling economic impact on failure in the auto and housing markets-much smaller sectors of the economy, Ron Howrigon asks, “When will the healthcare bubble burst? How bad will it be and how exactly will it happen?”
FLATLINING: HOW HEALTHCARE COULD KILL THE U.S. ECONOMY presents a concise, comprehensible overview of the critical issues and challenges facing the economics of healthcare.
Readers will learn about:
- The unsustainable rate of inflation in the cost of healthcare-and the “market adjustment” that could send the U.S. economy into a tailspin.
- The three economic factors that explain why healthcare costs keep rising, and the changes necessary to reverse that trend.
- The Affordable Care Act, six years on-its unanticipated effects on the healthcare system, and why the exchanges are at risk of failing.
- How “Repeal and Replace” could set the stage for a meltdown of the U.S. healthcare system.
- The prescription for the cure-seven areas where decisive action is needed to create a more sustainable model for healthcare.
- How physicians and hospitals need to prepare for the “tectonic shift” in how they get paid.
About Ron Howrigon
Ron Howrigon is President and Founder of Fulcrum Strategies. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Western Michigan University and a Master’s in Economics from North Carolina State University, focusing in the area of Health Economics. Ron has 18 years’ experience in the managed care industry as a negotiator and network manager, and has held senior management level positions with three of the largest managed care companies. In 2004, he founded Fulcrum Strategies to provide contract negotiation services to physicians across the country. The company has grown into offering consulting services including marketing, strategic planning, merger and speaking services to physicians and other related companies.
For the past 19 years, Greenbranch Publishing has earned a loyal following for its medical practice management educational materials, including the flagship publication, The Journal of Medical Practice Management and highly regarded books and seminars for physicians and practice executives covering reimbursement, practice development, compliance, patient safety, and financial and operational issues. Get more information at www.greenbranch.com or at (800) 933-3711.
SOURCE Greenbranch Publishing