By DentalPlans, Special for USDR
It is only a month into the New Year and for many, self-improvement resolutions are already a distant memory. Although common resolutions focus on making better decisions about spending, health and fitness, budget constraints can derail even the best efforts.
According to a Federal Reserve Report, the typical major unexpected medical expense results in an out-of-pocket cost of between $1,200-$2,782. Many American adults are “ill-prepared for modest financial shocks,” and 46 percent of those who reported experiencing a major out-of-pocket medical expense will have debt or unpaid balances related to these medical expenses a full year after the event occurred.
The report also noted that dental care is the type of healthcare that people are most likely to skip for budgetary reasons.
“A large portion of the population goes without preventive dental care because they can’t afford it,” said Bill Chase, vice president of marketing for :DentalPlans. “Gum infections and tooth decay, the latter being the world’s most prevalent chronic disease, have been linked to serious health conditions like cardiac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, pregnancy complications, etc.”
Tips to reduce the cost of dental care:
- Explore local low-cost/no-cost dental care options, such as dental community clinics, school clinics and accessibility organizations.
- Search the Internet for free dental events or offerings, like coupons or free check-ups (i.e. back to school, Veteran’s Day).
- Check to see if dental coverage is included as a membership perk or if a local dentist offers discounts to members.
- Open a Health Savings Account for unexpected dental expenses. Upcoming tax refunds could jumpstart this.
- Neglecting teeth usually results in high future dental care costs. Filling small cavities today may save someone thousands by avoiding costly major procedures tomorrow.
- Purchase a dental savings plan, an affordable alternative to dental insurance. Members can save 10-60 percent on most dental procedures. Learn more at dentalplans.com
About : DentalPlans
:DentalPlans, founded in 1999, is a leading dental and health savings marketplace in the U.S., helping more than a million people to affordably access quality healthcare services. Our mission is to empower consumers with the tools, information, and services that they need to live happier, healthier lives. For more information, visit us at www.dentalplans.com.