By Carter Andress, Special for USDR
Victory Undone: The Defeat of al-Qaeda in Iraq and its Resurrection as ISIS, the new book by CarterAndress, reveals the untold story of how the Iraq war was won and subsequently thrown away. Andress is a world-renowned military contractor whose company, American-Iraqi Solutions Group (AISG), contributed to the defeat of Al Qaeda in Iraq. Unlike most military personnel, Andress’s experience was unrestrained – his company interacted with locals in ways military personnel could not, giving him the insights into the war that bypassed reporters, diplomats, aid workers, and even soldiers.
The United States did indeed win the war in Iraq… and then stood back to watch the victory crumble. American forces transformed Iraq from a violent and chaotic land to a stable democracy that only needed minimal America support to defend and recreate itself. But thanks to the Obama administration, this minor support was withheld. As a result, the nation saw peace give way to terror under the ISIS invasion – a disaster that would have easily been prevented by an engaged administration.
In Victory Undone, readers will learn:
- How the U.S. defeated al-Qaeda in Iraq, from before the war through completion.
- How the Obama administration left the fledgling Iraqi government unprepared to deal with threats such as ISIS.
- How Andress’s company played a vital role in rallying Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds to unite behind the Government of Iraq’s fight against al-Qaeda.
- How Andress’s company employed 10,000 Iraqis and hauled everything from barbed wire to frozen lamb across IED-infested roads to isolated and besieged areas.
- That ISIS is a direct manifestation of al-Qaeda and the evil that had been defeated in Iraq.
- A strategy for destroying ISIS in 3 months.
Victory Undone is a dramatic,firsthand account of triumph in Iraq followed by a jihadi terror, with the new “caliph” of ISIS promising: “I’ll see you in New York.” Andress sounds the alarm that we cannot abandon the Iraqis now. If we do, the violent chaos unleashed by rebranded al-Qaeda will now be that much closer, again, to our own shores.
“Victory Undone is an important and timely addition to the body of literature on the War against Terror. Carter Andress spent five years in the thick of the action during the critical years between 2005 and 2010 when the fate of Iraq depended on victory over the al-Qaeda-led Sunni insurgency. Andress clearly demonstrates that this hard-won victory was achieved, only to be squandered by the corruption and ineptitude of the Baghdad government. The book is solid history that reads like a thriller.” –General (U.S. Army ret.) Tommy Franks
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Carter Andress is a world-renowned military contractor whose company, American-Iraqi Solutions Group (AISG), contributed to the defeat of al-Qaeda in Iraq. He was the ultimate boots-on-the-ground “civilian” in Iraq. Andress’s writing on Iraq and Afghanistan has been published by the Wall Street Journal and National Review Online.
All opinions expressed on USDR are those of the author and not necessarily those of US Daily Review.