Whether you need storage solutions for your surfboard, inherited items, or a safe place to keep belongings long- or short-term, self-storage facilities exist for just this reason. Self-storage companies can accommodate business or personal storage requirements for a reasonable fee. Read the compiled guide below to ensure you have all the information needed to choose an appropriate self-storage solution.
Many self-storage facilities cater for business and personal storage needs. Once you have decided to use self-storage, you will need to search for trustworthy self storage locations close to you. Then, you will need to take stock of how many items you would like to store, how big they are, how they need to be stored, and approximately how much space you will need for storage. It is a good idea to plan how everything will fit in the container to best choose the size you need.
Consider if you will be needing packing or moving materials beforehand to make the move easier. Investing in bubble wrap, boxes, tape, and a sharpie will probably be a good idea if you have many items to store or need to protect your belongings during the move and storage process.
What to Look Out for in a Storage Facility
Not all self-storage facilities are created equal, and some offer better options or features that may better appeal to your needs. Always ask if there are any hidden costs or deposits that you need to be aware of. It is generally a good idea to shop around for quotes with reputable self-storage facilities.
Consider the following features when deciding on a storage facility;
- Climate controlled storage units – to keep your items at an optimum temperature, storage units should be well ventilated to avoid the build-up of mildew.
- Security features – is the property adequately protected to keep your items safe and secure?
- Truck rental – is the rental of a truck to move your goods an option, and is it free?
- Padlocks – are they provided, and would you prefer to use your own lock?
- Location – is the location close enough to where you need it to be?
- Access – can you access your unit without fuss and 24/7?
- Support – do they provide an online or mobile app support service?
- Protection – is protection included or do you need additional insurance?
- Packaging materials – are they for sale on the premises?
- Competitive pricing – is the affordability acceptable?
- Reputation – what is their reputation in the community?
- Customer support – determine the size of a unit needed.
- Discounts – what discounts apply to storage terms?
- Allowed list – what items may not be stored?
- Lease or contract – are there month to month leases or contract periods?
The above checklist will ensure that all your ‘t’s are crossed and ‘i’s are dotted before you sign a contract. Take special consideration when it comes to selecting insurance if the facility you chose does not provide it so that your belongings will be covered in the event of loss, damage or theft.
Always do your research when you decide to store your personal or business belongings. This can be done by speaking to peers who use self-storage facilities or by browsing the reviews online. With this guide at your disposal, you are all set to store your belongings responsibly.