By US Daily Review Staff.
Meredith’s Parents Network, the leading parenthood media portfolio which includesParents, American Baby, FamilyFun and Ser Padres, today announced exclusive new findings from its second “Moms & Media” survey. The survey explored moms’ various media behaviors including preferences, consumption, and motivation.
“Moms & Media 2” finds that for moms born between 1977 and 1994, there is no part of their lives that is media free. From the bathroom (21%) to the bedroom (12%) these moms are checking Facebook, streaming television and reading magazines everywhere and anywhere they go. They are developing entirely new relationships with all forms of media on their own terms.
While more than 8 in 10 women are on Facebook, it is definitely a love/hate relationship. 57 percent of millennial moms feel like Facebook is a waste of their time yet 89 percent describe the time they spend on the site as their “me time.” The site has also opened up a world of new annoyances and pet peeves with 38 percent of moms admitting that the overly personal information others share in their status updates is annoying and 22 percent are turned off by Facebook Friends who make too many political statements in their status updates.
“Today’s moms are media omnivores,” says Carey Witmer, EVP/President, Meredith Parents Network. “Controlling their voracious diet is so important to them that they are constantly creating new rules about how and when media intermingles with their busy lives via their various devices, screens and networks.”
DETAILED FINDINGS FROM THE PARENTS NETWORK’S “MOMS & MEDIA 2” SURVEY*:
MOMS REALLY LOVE THEIR SMARTPHONES
- They take their Smartphones everywhere. 21% of Millennial moms use their phone in the bathroom and 12% use it during sex!
- 81% of moms said shopping was the #1 way they use their Smartphone.
- Moms have an average of 13 apps loaded on their phones.
- Two-thirds of moms say that less than half of their apps are for their kids.
MOMS HAVE A LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH FACEBOOK
- Facebook continues to rule social networking. The number of millennial moms on Facebook continues to rise – more than 8 in 10 moms are on the site.
- Too much TMI: 38% of moms said status updates with too much personal information is their #1 Facebook pet peeve.
- 22% of moms think that their Facebook Friends make too many political statements.
- Most moms (72%) are frustrated by all of the recent Facebook changes to its format and privacy policies.
- Moms have a love/hate relationship with Facebook, with 53% saying that they feel like it wastes their time.
- 96% of moms say it’s important to control who sees their personal information on Facebook.
- 55% of moms have de-friended companies on Facebook, too many messages and ads being the #1 reason.
- In 2010, 22% of moms kept Facebook open on their computers all day; now 44% do, a 100% increase.
- She’s making more ‘Friends.’ A year ago, moms had an average 151 Facebook friends, now she has 209.
MOMS & TV—WATCH OUT FOR SPOILERS!
- Moms spend 16 hours watching television weekly.
- Spoiler alert! 55% of moms watched live television in 2010 and now only 41% do.
- Streaming is on the rise. 16% of moms streamed television in 2010. That number is now up to 23%.
- Moms love their DVRs. 29% watched programming via DVR in 2010 and now 36% do.
- 84% of all moms avoid commercials when watching live television.
The survey was conducted online by Zeldis Research Associates using a nationally representative sample of moms with children aged 0-12. Fieldwork was conducted from November 18-December 14, 2011 and resulted in 1,041 completed questionnaires.