Guest posting. Why should one do it? Is it effective? If one chooses to do it, where should they try to post? How can you tell if the site is credible? There are many questions and here are some answers:
Guest posting serves many functions. One of the most important is the simple idea of getting one’s articles on various websites to get links back to one’s own site. It is also very important in building credibility as a thought leader in one’s industry. Through such content one can position themselves as the recognized authority in their industry.
Article posting has way more “staying power” than traditional advertising because (if well done) it conveys content of value to the reader and posting relationships are for extended periods of time. However, it is important to be selective about where one posts such articles. They need to be on websites with strong domain authority, with original content, with credible writers, on topics that are relevant to readers.
Before you pitch a site for guest posts, consider researching about them at sites like Moz.com to learn more about them. Also, look at the content and see if they are offering unique perspectives and not just the same things seen everywhere else. Are the articles clean and professional? Does it have a long history of periodical posting? When looking at how frequently they post, it should be measured in days, not weeks. That will speak volumes of how often it is visited.
If you decide to write an article, consider the following:
- Reach out to the website for posting guidelines and to find out what kind of content they desire. Some sites are looking for a very specific focus (money, healthy living, etc.).
- Once you agree on terms, write an article according to their guidelines.
- Write articles that are informative and not advertorial. Advertorial content will possibly get immediate attention by some, but will be largely ignored and dismissed by most. If you give your reader the information he or she wants, they will reward you with better engagement, sharing your content, and contribute to your objectives in writing the piece in the first place.
- Make sure your article solves specific problems, provides useful takeaways for the reader, and simply gives the reader the tools they need to make better decisions.
- If you have any doubts while writing, ask the publisher. Make sure the site is happy with your work.
- Remember that an excellent guest post will ultimately drive more traffic to your website. When readers find your guest post informative and helpful, they are much more likely to click the links on that post in search for more great information.
- Remember the value of guest posts shares and reposts on social media. Write content that will make people want to share it with others. As you write, think about what kind of content will make the reader want to get your message to others. Do not forget — it is all about the reader.
- Write articles that are substantial and not mere puff pieces. Sites such as PriceofBusiness.com prefer articles with a minimum of 500 words.
Get more information about article posting opportunities by filling out the simple form below:
In sum, keep in mind that guest posting is a long term strategy. It should not be done just at one site or one time, but often. Each article should be unique. Monitor how your website does over time as you post articles. See what sites are giving your own website more weight.
Article posting should be a significant part of your web strategy.
Learn more about sites we work with (including this one) that often look for guest posts by visiting here. Also, email email@example.com to learn more about the posting guidelines of these sites.
This article is an updated version of a post that originally appeared at our sister news site, here.