By Jeremy Morris, Associate Editor, US Daily Review.
Although many people associate six-figure salaries with executive positions, those with a knack for technology and creative thinking can earn handsome compensation, too. According to research from Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group, salaries often top $100,000 for roles such as information architects, data security analysts and user experience (UX) designers. The generous compensation levels are due to high demand for these professionals as organizations strive to enhance their digital presence and boost investments in information technology (IT) infrastructure.
“These highly specialized positions help companies implement essential projects, such as improving and securing the firm’s online presence across platforms, or gathering and analyzing business data,” said John Reed, senior executive director of Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group. “Employers are willing to pay well for these roles because they allow organizations to take advantage of new technologies and gain a competitive edge.”
Following are six technology and design jobs that can pay six-figures*:
- Mobile applications developer — As companies strive to reach consumers on smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices, they need professionals who can develop applications for the small screen. Average starting salaries for mobile applications developers range from $85,000 to $122,500. The midpoint is $103,750.
- Data security analyst — Security threats are constantly changing, and staff members who can analyze risk and protect against it are in demand. These workers can make between $89,000 and $121,500, on average. The midpoint is $105,250.
- Interactive creative director — These individuals lead interactive creative teams, composed of designers, writers and art directors, who together are responsible for visual and conceptual creative direction and user experience. Average base compensation is $93,500 to $150,000. The midpoint is $121,750.
- Business intelligence analyst — As companies strive to gather more information about their customers, they need professionals who can design and develop enterprise wide data analysis and reporting tools. Starting salaries range from $87,750 to $123,500 for this position, on average. The midpoint is $105,625.
- Information architect — These individuals help define content strategy and design website features, as well as analyze audiences and their needs, in order to improve architecture and navigation. Base compensation for this position is between $78,250 and $116,000, on average. The midpoint is $97,125.
- User experience (UX) designer — Because so much customer interaction happens online, companies are looking for professionals who can create positive digital experiences. The average starting pay range for these individuals is $71,750 to $104,000. The midpoint is $87,875.
More information about the positions listed above can be found in the Robert Half Technology 2012 Salary Guide, which includes a wide range of IT positions, as well as The Creative Group 2012 Salary Guide, which focuses on interactive, design and marketing jobs.
Both Robert Half Technology (www.rht.com) and The Creative Group (www.creativegroup.com) are divisions of Robert Half International, the world’s first and largest specialized staffing firm and a recognized leader in professional staffing services.
*All salaries listed are U.S. national averages based on data published in the 2012 Salary Guides for Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group. Actual salary ranges may vary depending on location.