By The Weather Network, Special for USDR
The Weather Network, an industry leader in multi-platform weather information services, announced today the launch of The Weather Network Android TV app, bringing weather information and forecasting technology to Google’s new TV platform. Designed specifically for Android TV, The Weather Network Android TV app draws on the service’s native features, allowing for rapid discovery of detailed and personalized content through its interactive app and first-to-market live weather video content.
“Google is known as an innovator in the technology space, and we’re excited to partner with them to create this first class, first in-market experience,” said Naomi Lipowski, Director TV Apps and Emerging Platforms, Pelmorex Media Inc. “In fact, we worked with Google to adapt its platform to accommodate these never before seen app features.”
The Weather Network Android TV app is the most recent addition to the company’s rapidly growing TV app family, solidifying its position as an international leader in weather TV apps with services currently offered in North America and Europe.
“The Weather Network is dedicated to innovation in the international weather market,” said Pierre Morrissette, Chairman, President and CEO of Pelmorex Media Inc, owner and operator of The Weather Network. “The Android TV app showcases The Weather Network’s commitment to delivering a great consumer experience using ground-breaking Over the Top (OTT) technology.”
Leveraging its multi-platform success with past weather applications, The Weather Network Android TV app consists of both a live channel and an interactive app, providing users with on-demand access to innovative new features that have yet to be seen on Android TV. With a click of a television remote, users have access to key weather data and alerts through a simple, dynamic and efficient user interface. Designed for an up to 10-foot TV viewing experience, key features include:
- IP targeted localized forecasts: Available for both the Live Channel and interactive app, personalized and localized forecasts are available, showing current and upcoming weather conditions.
- PointCast technology: Available for both the Live Channel and interactive app, PointCast technology provides weather information as close as 0.6 miles of where you are using a US zip code.
- Enhanced weather content: Current, Hourly, 36 Hours and 14 Day forecasts are provided for a user’s favorite locations.
- Video gallery: A collection of video on demand clips, including a Global Force of Nature video series, showcase images of the latest active and major weather events happening around the world.
- User submitted content: Scroll through or auto play users’ photos submitted from around the world.
- Weather, Radar and Traffic Flow maps: With support from pan and zoom functionality, users can keep an eye on up-to-date weather, radar and traffic maps.
- Voice control: Using simple voice commands, weather, videos and photos are searchable via voice activation.
“It is a priority for us to be available on the newest technologies to ensure users have access to the information they need to plan their day,” added Lipowski. “Available initially in over 30 American cities, the Live Channel and interactive app is poised to make weather more accessible and convenient for users everywhere.”
The Weather Network Android TV app is available in g.co/play/weatherTV
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Celebrating 26 years, Pelmorex Media Inc. is the parent company of The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, Eltiempo.es andWetterplus.de. Pelmorex operates in Canada, the US, Spain, the UK and Germany. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada’s most popular weather and information services on TV, web and smartphone apps. Eltiempo is Spain’sleading multi-platform weather information provider. Pelmorex also operates Canada’s National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System (Alert Ready) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies.
SOURCE The Weather Network