Just over half (53%) of U.S. adults plan to shop on Black Friday this year, according to the results of a holiday shopping trends survey by IPSOS and conducted on behalf of Offers.com. Of those consumers shopping on Black Friday, 35% plan to shop primarily online, 28% plan to shop mainly in stores and 37% will shop both online and in stores.
“People aren’t as excited to fight the crowds to get doorbusters,” said Offers.com CEO Steve Schaffer. “In fact, only 31% plan to shop at retailers that open on Thanksgiving , and more and more consumers are skipping the stores altogether and shopping online. This has transformed Black Friday into a weeklong online event, not just a one-day shopping bonanza.”
Black Friday Shopping Trends
- People with children are more likely to be planning to shop on Black Friday than those without children. (67% vs. 48%)
- 18 to 34-year-olds will shop on Black Friday more than any other age group. 26% will shop primarily online, 24% will shop online and in stores and 17% plan to shop primarily in stores.
- The majority (60%) of those planning to head to the stores on Black Friday will do so before 8 a.m.
Thanksgiving Shopping Trends
- 31% plan to shop at retail stores on Thanksgiving.
- People with children are more likely to shop on Thanksgiving than those without children. (37% vs. 28%)
- 35% of 18 to 34-year-olds will shop on Thanksgiving, as will 34% of 35 to 54-year-olds and 24% of 55-year-olds and older.
Holiday Shoppers Starting Early
Among the 92% of U.S. adults who make purchases online:
- Four in ten (40%) say that they do the majority of their online holiday shopping throughout the year.
- One in eight (12%) make the bulk of their purchases between Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday.
- A third (33%) do most of their online shopping between Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve.
“These trends show positive signs for the continued growth of online consumer activity,” said Schaffer. “People don’t have to leave Thanksgiving dinner to get to the best sales, and they most certainly don’t have to shop in a physical store to get the best Black Friday deals.”