In the US, more than 70% of homes share a common design element – a large garage placed front and centre. These garages are not only used to park cars but are great for extra storage or to convert a portion of it into a workshop.
Other than the garage itself, good quality garage doors have their own importance, becoming a crucial addition to a house. Experts at J&J Garage and Electric Openers, offering garage door repair services in Dundee, suggest that choosing the right garage door can add value to your home. They recommend speaking to an experienced professional who can advise you on the choice of door.
Here are a few tips that can also help you find the best garage door for your needs, which will not only enhance your home’s curb appeal but assure safety.
Tips to Choosing the Best Garage Door
- Material: Garage doors today are available in a variety of materials, such as steel, wood, aluminium, vinyl and fiberglass. Those who desire durability, with an increased level of security, usually opt for steel. However, you can also choose wooden garage doors for added visual appeal. On the other hand, materials like aluminium, vinyl and fiberglass are becoming increasingly popular, since they are low maintenance and can withstand extreme climates.
- Strength: When choosing a material for the garage door, make sure it has heavier gauge tracking, additional bracing and other important hardware that add to its strength, making it more secure against theft and break-ins. It is advisable to choose a door that is storm-ready and can tolerate high winds, given that the size of these doors can make them more vulnerable to wind damage than any other exterior openings in a house.
- Style:When considering the style, make sure it blends with the overall look of your home and the ambiance of the neighbourhood. Garage doors are available in various styles, with the most common being sectionals that are made of three or four panels connected with hinges, tilt-ups, which are made from a single panel opening with a ceiling mounted track, and the roll-up style that rolls overhead when you open the doors. Each has its own characteristic benefits.
- Insulation:Since garage is exposed to the outside, it can be a source of heat loss, increasing your energy bills. For those whose garage is attached to their home, ensuring insulation for the doors or an insulated garage door becomes a necessity to regulate the temperature inside, especially if there are rooms just above the garage.
- Security: Security is of utmost important for every homeowner. When buying a garage door, do equip it with an electric door opener, especially one that using rolling code technology. Each time you press the button on the remote, the security codes will change.
If you live in Dundee, you will be happy to learn that there are some excellent choices for residential & commercial garage door installation & repair services that can also help you make the most of your purchase.