By Generation Opportunity, Special for US Daily Review.
Generation Opportunity, one of the largest groups in the nation educating and mobilizing young Americans ages 18-29 with more than 3.4 million Facebook fans and an extensive grassroots field program, has rolled out a new online effort for the July 4th Independence Day holiday. The initiative, called “Sign the Declaration,” encourages young adults to reaffirm the principles of the Declaration of Independence by symbolically signing the document themselves online. Anyone can participate in the online initiative by visiting http://generationopportunity.org/independence-day/.
The effort comes as Generation Opportunity’s flagship Facebook page, “Being American by GO,” surged past 1.5 million fans, fueled by the intense patriotism and strong belief in American Exceptionalism held by the majority of young Americans ages 18-29.
“Two hundred and thirty-six years ago, our Founding Fathers pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor in the cause of liberty so that America could gain independence from British rule and secure its own destiny. Young Americans believe in American Exceptionalism and know that the principles of liberty and freedom outlined in the Declaration of Independence are as relevant in 2012 as they were in 1776. On July 4th, we invite all Americans to join us in affirming their commitment to these principles, to honor those whose actions and sacrifices formed our nation and the freedoms we enjoy today, and to remain vigilant in their defense,” said Paul T. Conway, President of Generation Opportunity and former Chief of Staff for the U.S. Department of Labor.
The online effort then specifically asks young Americans to join Generation Opportunity and affirm their commitment to the principles that inspired the courage and convictions of America’s Founding Fathers by “signing” the Declaration of Independence at http://generationopportunity.org/independence-day/.
The importance of the principles behind the Declaration of Independence cannot be overstated, especially at a time when America’s elected leaders should be listening to the concerns of young Americans about the growing size of government, the stifling burden posed by thousands of laws and regulations, increasing taxes, and America’s indebtedness to foreign powers as a result of the government’s reckless and unrestrained spending. The stakes are high and require the involvement and constant vigilance of young Americans, lest our elected leaders adopt solutions that cost future generations both their wealth and liberty.
HOW IT WORKS
- Go to this link: http://generationopportunity.org/independence-day/
- Read the statement.
- “Sign” the Declaration by entering your name and where you are from.
- For questions or for more information, email email@example.com
Generation Opportunity commissioned a poll last year with the polling company, inc./WomanTrend (April 16 – 22, 2011, +/- 4% margin of error) and highlights some of the results below.
Young People By The Numbers – Exceptionalism, National Direction, Views on 2012:
- 56% – more than half – indicated their agreement with “American Exceptionalism” – described as an ideal of freedom and democracy exclusive and unique to the United States. Only 29% disagreed.
- 54% believe that things here in the United States have pretty seriously gotten off on the wrong track; only 24% believe that things are headed in the right direction. 52% indicated they are not optimistic about the country’s future.
- 54% – more than half – are not confident that the U.S. will be a global leader in just 10 years. Only 9% said they were “very confident” that the U.S. would be.
- While 54% agree they have “more opportunity” than their parents, only 16% think their children will have “much more opportunity,” and 27% actually think their children will have less.
- 69% say political leaders do NOT reflect the interests of young Americans, and just 31% approved of the President’s handling of youth unemployment.
- 57% also say they will learn more about the policy positions of presidential candidates in the 2012 election than they did in 2008.
Generation Opportunity is a non-profit, non-partisan 501 (c)(4) organization that seeks to engage everyone from young adults, to early career professionals, college students, young mothers and fathers, construction workers, current service men and women, veterans, entrepreneurs, and all Americans who find themselves dissatisfied with the status quo and willing to create a better tomorrow. Generation Opportunity operates on a strategy that combines advanced social media tactics with proven field tactics to reach Americans 18-29. The organization’s social media platforms – “Being American by GO,” “The Constitution by GO,” “Gas Prices Are Too Damn High,” and “Keep Texas Awesome” on Facebook – have amassed a total fan base of more than 3.4 million. All four pages post links to relevant articles and reports from sources ranging from the federal Government Accountability Office (GAO), to The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Brookings Institution, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, and The Heritage Foundation.