How to Obtain a US Green Card: What Are Your Options?


A US Green Hard holder is an individual who has been granted authorization in order to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of the status that they have been granted, they are issued with a permanent resident card, commonly referred to as a ‘Green Card’. There are several different ways in which you can become a permanent resident of the US and a Green Card holder. The majority of individuals are given support from a family member or an employer in the US, whilst others can become Green Card holders through refugee or asylum status or through a range of other humanitarian programs. In certain cases, you may also be able to file for permanent status yourself. We’ve listed the different options that you may be eligible for when applying for a US Green  Card.

Green Card Through  Family

The majority of Green Card holders apply for their permanent status through family, and if you have a family member who is a permanent resident or citizen of the United States, you may be eligible to be issued with a Green Card. This includes immediate relatives such as unmarried children who are under the age of 21, spouses, and parents of U.S citizen petitioners who are aged 21 or over. You may also be able to apply for Green Card status if you are a family member of a US citizen who fits into a preference category such as unmarried children over the age of 21 or married children of any age. You may also be able to apply if you are the immediate relative of another Green  Card holder.

Green Card Through  Work

Employment is another common way in which many Green Card holders obtain their permanent status. If you are given an offer of permanent employment in the United States you may be eligible to be issued with a Green Card, or if you are an investor looking to invest in a business that will create further jobs in the US. If you are looking to start a business in the US, visit Hirson Immigration for more information on EB5 funding. Certain special categories of jobs such as Religious Workers, Broadcasters, Physician National Interest Waivers, Panama Canal Employees, and International Organization Employees may also allow you to get a Green Card even if it was a position that you held in the past. For more information on special job categories click  here.

Refugees and  Asylees

If you were admitted to the United States as a refugee, you will be required to apply for permanent residence in the US after one year since you were admitted. If you are an asylee or a qualifying family member of an asylee you will not be required to apply for permanent status after one year, although it may be in your best interests to do so. If you are a refugee or asylee you can get assistance and advice on applying for a green card from a number of humanitarian  organizations.

How did you get your Green  Card?

All opinions expressed on USDR are those of the author and not necessarily those of US Daily Review.