Simmons National Consumers Survey reported that more than 39.8 million Americans whitened their teeth in 2019. Some whitened using over-the-counter products while many others visited their dentist. Not to be confused with tooth cleaning service, whitening removes stains, discolorations, and other imperfections from the teeth using a bleaching solution. It can take 10-years from the appearance of the teeth and give its user more confidence in their smile.
Should You Use Teeth Whitening Service?
Our smile is important. Often, it is the first thing others notice about us. People gain an impression of the type of person we are by looking at our smile. When our smile is not perfectly white, it may send the wrong impression to others and cause other problems, such as lack of confidence. Lack of confidence interferes with our lives in many ways and can lead to more serious problems. Teeth whitening ensures that you show off a confident, beautiful white smile. Choose professional whitening and you need service only once per year. Teeth whitening service is safe and produces immediate results for every user.
Anyone can -and should -take advantage of teeth whitening service if they are unhappy with their smile due to discoloration, stains, or similar problems. Professional or at-home whitening service, the entire process takes less than an hour from start to finish. Once complete, your teeth are noticeably whiter and stay that way for many months, provided you properly care for them as directed by your dentist.
Obviously, dental whitening service provides whiter, more noticeable, and safer results, but it comes at a cost. The average cost of dental whitening from the cosmetic dentist is $650, a fee that is not covered by insurance policies. Compared to a cost averaging $50 for an at-home kit, it is understandable why people choose them rather than professional service. At-home kits are safe, research options, and know what you are buying.
A few additional tips for at-home teeth whitening safety:
- Sensitive teeth? Consult with a dentist for the best whitening options.
- At-home whitening kits offer several application methods. Strips are easier to use than many other options. Research each application method to choose the right one for your needs.
- Bleaching can damage the enamel on your teeth, especially if it is done too often. Do not overdo it!
Teeth Whitening After Care
The following tips help keep teeth beautiful and white after teeth whitening service. These tips help both those who use dental teeth whitening as well as those who choose at-home whitening kits.
- Avoid high-color foods and drinks. Coffee, wine, sports drinks, and yes, even soda, are off-limits after teeth whitening if you want to maintain results.
- Avoid high acidic foods after tooth whitening. This includes processed foods, strawberries, grains, and fresh meat and fish.
- Use teeth-whitening toothpaste, mouthwash, and oral care products to maintain the pearly white appearance.
- Schedule whitening touch-ups with the dentist or purchase an at-home touch-up kit. The results of whitening wear over time, but a touch-up helps restore your pearly-white smile.
To Whiten…or Not to Whiten…That is the Question?
Teeth whitening is safe and brightens a discolored smile in minutes. Whether you choose at-home or dental whitening, the results give you added confidence that allows you to live life to the fullest. Life is too short to do it any other way. If you are unhappy with your smile due to stains or discolorations, consider a whitening service and change that for the better.