“Superbug” Hits UCLA Medical Center

By  USDR.
Fox News is reporting that “UCLA reported Wednesday that nearly 180 patients were exposed to a potentially deadly ‘superbug’ on contaminated medical instruments that infected seven patients and may have contributed to two deaths.”A total of 179 patients at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center were exposed to antibiotic-resistant carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE, during endoscopic procedures between October and January, the university said in a statement. The bacteria may have been a “contributing factor” in the deaths of two patients, the university said. Those who were exposed are being sent free home-testing kits that the university will  analyze.”The UCLA Health System has notified more than 100 patients that they may have been infected by a “superbug” bacteria during complex endoscopic procedures that took place between October 2014 and January 2015. The patients are being offered free home testing kits that would be analyzed at UCLA.” It is reported that this bug can kill 50 percent of those infected once it reaches the bloodstream. There have been 2 deaths among the 7 known to be  exposed.
US Daily Review obtained the following statement from the medical center:  “UCLA sterilized the scopes according to the standards stipulated by the manufacturer. However, an internal investigation determined that carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) bacteria may have been transmitted during a procedure that uses this specialized scope to diagnose and treat pancreaticobiliary diseases and may have been a contributing factor in the death of two patients. A total of seven patients were  infected.
“Similar CRE exposures using the same type of scope recently have been reported in other hospitals in the United States. The two scopes involved with the infection were immediately removed and UCLA is now utilizing a decontamination process that goes above and beyond manufacturer and national standards. Both the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services and the California Department of Public Health were notified as soon as the bacteria were  detected.”
All opinions expressed on USDR are those of the author and not necessarily those of US Daily Review.