By Workcompass, Special for USDR
Did you know three out of four employees have a bad boss?
68% of employees leave a job because their boss sucks!
We identified 5 dishonourable traits and habits for managers to avoid becoming a bad boss.
1. “I know it all”
2. “I fear change”
3. “I fail and never learn”
4. “This is all about me”
5. “Yes, absolutely (always)”
6. BONUS: “I don’t care”
Full details of each trait is below.
WorkCompass has spent over 32,000 hours of R&D with international universities and market leading global companies researching the skills that make a great leader. We have distilled this down to just 21 multiple choice questions on the people management practices that work.
Answer these short questions and find your leadership strengths free at http://workcompass.com/leadership/
CEO Denis Coleman stated:
“Great management is vital to individual and group excellence. Effective leadership allows organisations improve staff performance by on average 11% making staff more engaged and companies more competitive.”
The tool is already being used by leading companies across the UK and Ireland including winners of the Best Place To Work award, Deloite best managed companies and the Investors in People award.
The 5 traits in more detail:
1. “I know it all” – Good leaders never have all of the answers and the one that thinks so is bad for business. Before their lack of wisdom becomes everyone’s downfall, help them see that they need to figure things out and ask the right questions when the answers aren’t so clear.
2. “I fear change” – Change is scary and the business world is always changing. Yeah, that’s no comfort but stay with us here. Fearing change is paralyzing to your development and to facilitating the success of a team. Accept change and acknowledge that it is scary. See where you work best and get into making the most of changes happening.
3. “I fail and never learn” – If you’re failing as a habit, you better hope you have something you can hang your hat on. You need to find out why, when, how, and what you fail at consistently. We have something for you about bouncing back from failure.
4. “This is all about me” – You’re not a damn island. You’re the head, but this operation is not about just you and your career. Managers are connected to organization growth, their personal career and the livelihoods of their employees. To think your work is all about you is truly doing a dishonour to your career. Get some perspective about how this ecosystem works.
5. “Yes, absolutely (always)” – Yes men and women cannot prioritize; they neglect to think, are unassertive, and prefer to maintain the status quo. Leaders need to challenge and progress you and the organization. They can start by saying “no.”
6. “I don’t care” – We said 5 dishonorable leadership traits, but what’s one more in your brain? Lacking empathy is about the sum of these previous bad leadership traits and also shows a lack of accountability and lack of self leadership. Fixing this trait means you have to pay attention to your employees, ramp your awareness of your team and organization, and drop the judgment when you don’t agree with others.
Leadership has an ugly side and some people relish in being a bad boss. See where you might have an issue here so that you can stomp it out at your organization. Better leaders lead to a more engaged staff.
Workcompass.com is an online Staff Performance Management and performance review solution. We have distilled the people management practices the behavioural scientists agree improve staff performance into a single, intuitive, cloud software system that drive business success. Work Compass is the product of over 32,000 hours of research and testing. The development team includes leading organisational development experts from industry and academia in Europe and the US. Everyone hates annual reviews. WorkCompass removes that pain.