While the whole concept of going back to college as an adult may seem intimidating at first, regardless if it’s to get your doctorate in nursing practice, to obtain an MBA or to get your criminal justice degree, the reality of the fact is that you will be joining plenty of other students who decided to go to school later on in life. In fact, statistics indicate that older students make up a significant percentage of the students that go back to college. In this post, we’re going to take a look at some things you need to know before you re-embark on your journey to higher education.
1) Learn to Study in Environments That Are Filled with Distractions
If you choose to return to college as an older adult, there’s a high chance that you acquired various responsibilities such as dogs, bills and children. As such, your environment may be filled with distractions that you’ll have to learn to ignore so that you can study especially when it comes to getting a doctorate in nursing practice.
2) Get Familiarized with All the Wi-Fi Hot Spots in Your Area
If you plan to take your college course online, such as to get your DNP online, you need to become aware of all the Wi-Fi hotspots in your area. By doing this, it can help you to maximize your ability to study anywhere and at any time. For example, if you know where several hotspots are, you can finish a project while you wait at the train station, or read a chapter during lunch or to even ask your tutor a question while you go to the park to spend some time with your children.
3) You Won’t Be the Only One
It’s a well known fact that thousands of older adults get their college degrees on a yearly basis. Many of them are just as motivated, busy and even financially tapped, just like you may be. In the modern day, the whole concept of having a college filled with students who go to college right after high school is a myth. In most cases, no matter which campus you visit or DNP online college course you take, you’ll quickly realize that it is filled with older adults who have made the decision to go back to colleges like Bradley University.
4) Become Aware of What Your Learning Style Is
When it comes to going back to school, regardless of if it’s to study computer science or to become a doctor of nursing practice you have two choices: online or tribal setting. When it comes to which option you should utilize, you should first become aware of what your learning style is, so that you can determine which would be an ideal option. Educators have highlighted the fact that there are different learning styles, which are auditory, visual and tactile learners.
- Visual learners need to be at the front portion of a class so that they won’t be distracted by anything that is going on around them. However, a more ideal option would be to take an online college course, since visual learners will have the ability to choose where they want to study or learn new material.
- Auditory learners on the other hand, tend to perform better when they use soothing music to help them study. They also memorize their materials more easily when they explain it, to others. Therefore, auditory learners may find traditional campus courses to be more beneficial.
- Tactile learners on the other hand, feel a compelling need to do things as opposed to just sitting in a classroom. They enjoy using sticky notes, taking frequent exercise breaks as well as to type as they process information from a computer screen. Tactile learners may find online courses to be better suited for them.
5) Online Courses Are Better for Older Adults In General
Due to the fact that payment options for online college such as Bradley University are more flexible than ever, topped off with the fact that online courses are more ideal options for older adults in particular, in general, they can prove to be more beneficial that traditional campus courses.
When you look at the fact more and more older adults are going to school, and the fact that online courses can cater to your schedule regardless of how hectic it is, if you have been hesitant about the concept of going to school you shouldn’t be. As such, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t go back to school to improve your finances and enjoy a better quality of life.