If you are a business owner, then chances are high you have probably heard of Magento. Magento keeps rising in popularity as the number one platform for eCommerce ventures, entrepreneurs, business owners, and many retailers looking to take their business to the next level, but how does Magento work?
Magento is an eCommerce platform that was built on open source technology. This provides online merchants with a shopping cart system that is flexible as well as complete control over the content, look, and functionality of their online store. Magento also offers:
- Powerful marketing
- Search ending optimization
- Catalog management tools
If you are new to Magento, the first step is to go to the website and choose your Magento edition.
- The Magento Commerce Cloud is a paid, tailored solution that provides much higher performance and scale-ability for large businesses that are growing fast. It also gives you access to support from experts as well as hundreds of different features and extensions that you can use to power your unique store. It also typically gives you more control over your website.
- The Magento Open Source is available for free and is more geared for developers who know their way around Magento. It is also a great option for small businesses that want to hire a developer on their one behalf. This edition of Magento is an open-source solution that gives you access to the community as well as all of the Magento functions such as adding user groups, product categories, coupons, etc.
It is a good idea to do a little bit of research prior to deciding on which edition suits you because although it is possible to do, moving from community to enterprise can be a little challenging. The good news is if you already started with the community edition and feel like you could use more functions, you can always just add the specific enterprise features that you want individually!
How does it work?
Magento’s ability to scale allows shops with only a few simple needs to easily expand to tens of thousands of products all without ever having to change platforms. It offers a wide range of plug-ins and themes which can easily enhance a customer’s experience.
Magento is designed to be utilized as an application by someone who is not a developer. The Magento community is incredibly large and super helpful. However, eventually, at some point, the average person will hit a wall and need some help.
There are tons of reasons as to why developers are called to adjust a Magento website. It is a very robust system! Once you start to integrate with other systems or begin to introduce hundreds of thousands of products, businesses often need the assistance of an experienced web developer.
What are the benefits?
Unlike other platforms like WordPress and Joomla!, Magento is built specifically for creating online stores. Some of the benefits are:
- Easy to install and add additional plug-ins and layouts
- Effective and cost-sensitive program
- Open source technology that offers flexible and scalable eCommerce solutions
- Provides more than 50 payment gateways
- Allows for various discounts and promotions during check-out
- Versatile content management
- Built-in upsells and cross-sells
- Easy third-party integrations
- Customize security permissions
If you are someone who may be looking in to turn up the notch on your business, then you should consider giving Magento a try! Your e-commerce site will be in excellent company as this CMS has been used and trusted to create online stores for big names like Marie Claire, Paul Smith, Regis Corporation, and Helly Hansen – just to name a few!