By Merissa King, Special for USDR.
Innovation – it’s a concept that many individuals, leaders, organizations and communities aspire to achieve.
As you look back on what you’ve accomplished over the past year, or what your organization has accomplished, take some time to contemplate the level of innovation that seeped into the process and how you could improve your innovative mindset as you set out with fresh, new goals in 2015.
The Conference Board of Canada defines innovation as a process through which economic or social value is extracted from knowledge—through creating, diffusing, and transforming of ideas—to produce new or improved products, services, processes, strategies, or capabilities.
Think about some of the popular trends this year – wearable technology, crowdsourcing, big data (for example) – and how they relate to driving economic or social value.
As public relations professionals, we are in a unique position when it comes to innovation.
Not only can we create and execute strategies and campaigns that are creative, engaging and interactive through new digital communication technologies, but we also have the opportunity to support the development of an innovative framework and mindset within an organization.
We do this by scanning the environment, and facilitating internal and external dialogue through collaborative channels to discover new trends and nsights.
So what has innovation looked like in 2014?
The following stories and rankings are just a taste of what new and innovative ideas have emerged this year.
- Amanda Lang, senior business correspondent for CBC News, presents The Future of Innovation in Canada (Video: 5:10 minutes)
- According to 2thinknow Innovation Cities™ Index 2014, the top Canadian cities ranked on the most innovative cities globally areToronto (11), Montreal (36) and Vancouver (39).
- Business Insider ranks Vancouver as one of the 18 most innovative cities on earth in 2014.
- Forbes shares top five innovative tech ideas in 2014.
- The Canadian Foundation for Innovation picked the top three innovative research videos from 2014.
- CIX Top 20 is a showcase of Canada’s hottest innovative companies working in Digital Media and Information and Communication Technology.
As you embark on your innovative journey in 2015, watch this short video to get you started: What is Innovation?
Merissa King, Account Manager at APEX thinks every individual and organization has the potential to be creative and innovative. They just need a little inspiration.
About APEX Public Relations
Creative, results-driven and passionate are words used to describe APEX Public Relations (apexpr.com) by both clients and its staff. A high-performance, high-energy communications agency that is fueled by innovation, strategic collaboration and senior-level involvement, APEX has won numerous national and international awards, been voted Agency of the Year by the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) two years in a row and made the PROFIT Magazine list of Top 100 Women Entrepreneurs for the past ten years. Actively involved in the community, APEX founded On Your Bike (onyourbike.com), a foundation that distributes bikes to underprivileged children.
SOURCE Apex Public Relations